Monday, March 29, 2010

Five Questions that job Interviewers might ask you


Courtesy ABC News, Tory Johnson

Q1:Tell me About Yourself:
"Tell me about yourself, and by that I mean tell me about your background, your experience and highlight anything you'd like to share and we'll go from there."

This is the most common interview question, and it's the one where so many people get tongue-tied. This isn't your life story, nor should it be too personal. Your answer should reflect your professional side and it should directly tie into the position you're seeking. Sell yourself for his particular job by highlighting that you have the skills the role requires.

Q2: What's your greatest weakness?
"I haven't had a lot of experience with public speaking before large groups, so I don't feel my best when giving big presentations. It's a skill that I'd like to build on so I've enrolled in a course or I'm hoping I'll have a chance to build this skill here."
Another example: "I've had trouble in the past with managing e-mail -- instead of allowing it to manage me and monopolize my time. It's so easy to get distracted by the pressure to respond instantly when e-mails pop into your inbox, but I'm learning that the best time management rules dictate that it's best to check and respond to e-mail at designated times instead of every minute of the day. That's helped me to be far more productive than ever before, and it's a work in progress that I'm constantly aware of."

Q3:What do you know about us?
This question gets at whether you really want to work here -- or if you're looking for any job with any employer. Do you know the bare bones or can you demonstrate a depth of knowledge? Too often candidates don't do the research, or they assume the interviewer shares whatever they need to know about the organization. Wrong.

The best answer will allow you to show off your research -- it'll be clear that you've done your homework because you know the company, its history, the trends impacting the industry in which it operates, and its top competitors. This shows you're very interested in this employer, not just any company.

Q4: What is your five-year plan?
Wrong answers: In your job, on the beach, anywhere but here -- even if that's how you really feel. Or you feel like saying none of us can predict tomorrow; how can we possibly know what's five years ahead of us. Not good either.
Good answers: he answer should reflect growth with that company. "I'd like to become the best sales person in the company and help train other sales leaders. I'd like to be the best science teacher in this school system to enable our classrooms to be used as a model of excellence."

If it's a small company, you may try: "I'd very much like to help build this company's bottom line so I'm able to take advantage of the great opportunities that a growing company has to offer."

Q5: How do you handle high-pressure moments?
This is about problem-solving so be aware. Should demonstrate maturity.
Your answer may reflect a tight deadline you had to meet -- one that was perhaps sprung on you with little notice. Or maybe you've witnessed layoffs and you've had to absorb twice as much work with half the staff.

Maybe your answer will reflect a personal challenge. Did you have to make a big decision about the medical care of a family member? How did you go about weighing the options before making a decision? Have you faced a financial challenge?

No matter what your response, interviewers are looking for how you handle change, how adaptable you are, your thought process, and your decision making skills, especially since you'll be faced with the need to make regular decisions on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment